The Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP), the Caring for Children Program and the Caring for People with High Medical Needs Program are closed to new applicant effective June 18, 2019. Experience acquired however thru any of those streams can be counted for purposes of applying either for PR or for the new interim Caregiver Stream.

In lieu of the ended caregiver pathways, Canada has opened another new interim caregiver pathways designed to bring caregiver spouses and dependents to Canada. Under these streams, spouses of caregivers are given an Open Work Permit while their children are given Study Permits.

Starting June 18, 2019, caregivers may be able to apply for permanent residence thru the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot Program if they meet the eligibility requirements and have valid job offers to work in any of the aforementioned occupations.

Through these pilots, successful applicants get an open work permit that is Occupation-restricted. In other words, you cannot work in any other field of occupation. LMIA is also no longer needed except for applications for extension of work permits. Also, the work experience you obtained can be a considered as qualified experience for purposes of PR application. For a more detailed and recent issuance on caregivers, contact Chaest Immigration.